A home based business is the best career opportunity for those who want to make money from home and people who are not interested in working 9-5 for someone.
I have studied countless home business ideas and selected 90 business ideas that can be profitable. These ideas have great earning potential in 2023 and can be started with low investment.
Table of Contents
93 Most Profitable Home Business Ideas
I can assure you that you will find many business ideas here that will be perfect according to your interest and budget. You can immediately start one of the home businesses mentioned below.
1. List Your Place on AirBnB
Have you ever thought of renting your house for a few days to tourists and making money from it?
If you live in a big city where many people come to visit for business or pleasure purposes, you can rent your entire home or a single room to them and earn money.
This is the best way to make a passive income right from the comfort of your home. The best part is you don’t need any extra investment to start this. You can list your house on Airbnb.com and see how much money you can make with this.
If you live in California and rent just one room to 2 people, you can easily make well over $2000 every month.
It's one of the excellent home based business opportunities as it takes significantly less investment, and you can work anytime at your convenience.
Blogging means creating your blog and writing something useful that can solve the problems of others. If you are interested in sports, start a blog based on sports. If you have good knowledge about health-related topics, start a blog on the health niche.
Next, you need visitors to your blog. You need to learn different ways like SEO, SMM, etc., to get traffic to your blog. There are many blogs where you can learn about SEO, SMM, and other ways to promote your blog.
Blogging is not that difficult. It may look hard only for the first three months to six months. Things become easy once your blog is established.
You need to buy a domain and WordPress hosting to start your blog. You can refer to this detailed guide to start your blog. It hardly takes 30 minutes to set up your blog with this guide.
3. Garage or Backyard Buying ‘n’ Reselling
Here, you buy items like books, furniture, paintings, crafts, antiques, etc., at a cheaper rate from a Garage or Backyard sale and sell them at a higher rate on Amazon or eBay.
According to one of my friend's experience, a few months back, he bought a marbled ceramic vase from a Garage sale for just $20 and sold it on Amazon.com for $80. He made a profit of $60 with just one sale.
Similarly, if you can buy and sell more stuff, you can make over $3000 per month working from home.
The only start-up cost you will incur is setting up an inventory. Earning potential could be $40,000 – $80,000 a year, depending on how much effort you’re willing to put in.
4. Virtual Assistant
There are approximately 125,000 virtual assistants listed on Upwork, Freelancer, and PPH (PeoplePerHour) combined. A virtual assistant can be an employee, freelancer, or independent contractor who assists various businesses and individuals online.
Their work may include scheduling, organizing and sorting, data entry, designing, copywriting, etc. You communicate with clients through online platforms like Zoom, Google Meet, Skype, etc.
However, before applying as a virtual assistant online, you must have earned some good experience in the real world first. The median income of a virtual assistant can range from $30,000 to $50,000 per year.
5. Teaching English Online
Teaching English Online can be one of the most lucrative home based businesses. You can start on your own by creating a website and getting new students to join.
You have to look out for students by leveraging social media platforms like Facebook, Whatsapp, LinkedIn, YouTube, and references in your network.
You conduct online sessions where you teach a batch of 20 to 25 students for 45-60 minutes. You get paid around $20 to $40 from each student for each session you take.
If you are willing to work hard and get the right kind of students, you can easily make $50,000 a year, investing very little. Although you can teach other subjects also, English courses are in great demand because there is no shortage of clients willing to pay.
6. Freelance Writing
Freelance writing is the most ubiquitous home business idea. Anyone who has a passion for writing can become a freelance writer.
The great thing about freelance writing is every freelance writer can find a niche. You don’t have to be a Dorothy Parker to become a freelance writer.
You can write content for a website or a blog and earn a decent income for each word you write. On average, a freelance writer can make $50,000 – $60,000 a year working from home.
Moreover, there is no dearth of opportunities you can find thousands of writing jobs on Upwork, Guru, Freelancer, etc.
7. Publishing eBooks
If you want to be more than just a freelance writer, you can create your eBooks and sell them online on Amazon or other platforms.
However, it is not as easy as it may sound. People will not buy your ebooks if it isn’t worth reading. You can’t expect people to pay for an ebook that doesn’t solve their problems.
But if you can offer people something new in your ebook, it can sell like a hot cake. The earning potential is unlimited. If you price your eBook at $3 and can sell 10,000 copies in a year, you have easily made a passive income of $30000.
8. Fiverr Gigs
Fiverr Gigs can be considered a severe home business opportunity with a meager income to get started. On Fiverr, you get an opportunity to serve clients who are looking for quick fixes. You have to complete the job within 1 to 3 days.
If a company or individual wants a particular piece of code to be added or removed from their website, you can offer them your services.
E.g., a client may want you to design a logo or animate a video for a price ranging from $5 to $100. You can offer your services ranging from $5 to $100 or even more. At Fiverr, you will be able to find all kinds of gigs to choose from.
You can expect $5 to $20 for each order you receive on Fiverr if you are new. Once you become a top-rated seller, you can increase the price of your gig.
9. Micro Jobs
Micro Jobs are probably well suited for the younger generation between 18 years and 26 years. Micro jobs are various small online jobs like taking surveys, Get Paid to Click ads, watching videos, reading emails, writing short articles, etc.
Here you get paid five or ten cents for each task. At best, you can make $200 to $250 a month doing such micro-jobs.
If you spend time on the internet daily doing nothing, you can think of micro-jobs to generate passive income. Please don’t take it as a severe work-from-home business opportunity.
10. Website Flipping
Website Flipping is for tech-savvy professionals with knowledge of blogging, affiliate marketing, and SEO. In website Flipping, you buy a website in a particular niche for a lower price, add value like content, design change, get some traffic and finally sell it at a higher price.
You sell the website 30 to 40 times higher than what you purchased. The initial investment amount needed could be over $5000. Flippa & Empire Flipper is one of the best platforms for flipping websites. You can read this post to understand the website flipping business.
11. Buy and Selling Domain Names
If website flipping is too hard for you, you can buy and sell domain names. It’s straightforward! In the real estate business, you buy a property at a cheaper rate; you hold it as the price appreciates and then later, at the right time, sell it for a much higher price.
Same thing you do with domain names. You buy domain names that are futuristic and can be in great demand in the coming years.
You think of such businesses, book domain names reflecting that business, and buy them in bulk for a lower price.
Later, when a company or a business needs that particular domain name, you can sell them at a price 20 to 30 times higher.
To give you an idea, PrivateJet.com was sold for $30 million, VactionRentals.com for $35 million, and CarInsurance.com for $50 million. You can see a list of the most expensive domain names here.
You need $2000 to $5000 to get started with this business.
12. Start a YouTube Channel
YouTube is rapidly becoming a great career option for people globally. You can become a YouTuber or run a business through a YouTube channel. There are various ways to make money with YouTube, and if you are into product selling, you can promote your business through your YouTube channel.
You need to decide your niche before starting a YouTube channel. If you want to make good money with your channel, you must choose a high-demand niche. Learn skills like YouTube SEO, thumbnail designing, etc., to grow your YouTube channel.
The most important thing to keep in mind is audience engagement. If your audience is not engaged, it will be difficult t grow your YouTube channels and make money.
YouTube promotes those channels that create quality and engaging videos on a consistent basis.
13. Career Counsellor
Counseling is a thriving business in the USA. It presents you an opportunity to make well over $50000 a year from home. Career counselors are in great demand as students, professionals & job seekers are looking for career guidance.
When there is a recession, companies are forced to cut corners and lay off many employees. Such employees who are downsized without any hope are willing to seek help from a professional career counselor.
For an hour-long session, you can make between $50 to $200 depending upon the state and city you live in. You don’t need more than $5000 for a few furniture, computer, and advertisement expenses as a startup cost.
14. Stock Trading
Before you read any further, I need to warn you that Stock Trading is not for amateurs. Earning opportunities are great, but only if you can analyze markets and stocks.
If you do, you don’t need much to get started; just a computer with an internet connection and an account with a brokerage company would be enough.
The investment amount is so low that you don’t even need $5000, just $1000 is enough if you know to leverage your position. A successful trader can make $50000 – $1,000,000 depending upon his experience and risk appetite.
Also read: How To Buy Stocks Online In 2023
15. Network Marketing
One of the most likable things about network marketing or MLM (multi-level marketing) is that anyone can join the program and become successful.
No educational qualification is required to start this home business. You are fine if you are just a high school graduate or a college dropout.
There are many top MLM companies to promote for. Amway, Herbalife, Forever Living, etc are just a few to name.
Join a company as an associate and start promoting their health products to your family and friends first. And Then, with some experience, you can grow your network by bringing in more new associates under you.
You have to pay for initial membership (which is not more than $100 in most companies) and promote their products.
16. Medical Transcriptionist
Before you read further, don’t conflate medical transcriptionist jobs with data entry jobs. These two jobs are different because they require entirely different skill sets.
Medical transcriptionist jobs are in high demand in the USA because there is a shortage of qualified Medical Transcriptionists.
Hospitals and Insurance companies require them for documenting patients’ health reports, research data, and other documentation purposes.
You require good listening skills, knowledge of medical jargon and terminology, typing skills, two years of higher education, and six months of training as a medical transcriptionist.
You require an investment of $4000+ for purchasing computer hardware and software along with a transcriber unit.
Medical transcriptionists are paid $30 to $50 per hour with an earning potential of $80,000 a year. This income is way more than a regular data entry operator.
17. Grant Writing
Companies/Individuals who want to do business with the federal, and state governments, and counties must send requests in writing to them.
These requests, also known as Requests for Proposal (RFP), must be written professionally with excellent grammar. Hence they need Grant Writers to do that.
Grant Writers must have knowledge of laws and regulations for a given industry, knowledge of technology, and the ability to write logically with numerical data.
They have to produce professional-looking documents, including graphs, charts, spreadsheets, tables, etc. Writing a proposal is a highly skilled task that requires years of experience in health, education, etc.
You need a computer, a color printer, and some furniture to get started. An investment of $5000 should cover it. A grant writer can earn $50000 to $100,000 a year depending upon their experience and writing skills.
18. Medical Claims Processing
Physicians are required to submit medical claims of their patients to medical offices by law. Usually, medical offices are flooded with medical claims that require a lot of paperwork.
So they hire independent individuals outside billing services to process medical claims and provide services like invoicing, payment collection from patients, tracking past dues, and answering patients’ queries.
You must have a thorough knowledge of insurance billing, CPT coding, Medicare and Medicaid regulations. You need a lot of patience to process claims and sharp interpersonal skills.
To get started you need a computer with internet, printer, medical billing software, fax machine, and CPT coding manual. Startup costs can go up to $10,000.
However, you can make $500 to $2000 from each client.
The market for the fine art of calligraphy is vast, diverse, and competitive. If you are a skilled Calligrapher, you can start your own home based business.
Calligraphy appears in wedding invitation cards, birth notices, certificates, tombstone decorations, etc. Your customer will supply the necessary data, and you write accordingly.
You offer calligraphy services to schools, wedding halls, sports clubs, businesses, etc. It is a very skilled job and requires a lot of craftsmanship from your side.
You will require calligraphy pens, special paper, ink, and of course, a steady hand. An investment of $1000 would be enough to get started.
Potential earnings could be up to $30000 per annum. People are still willing to pay more for a handwritten calligraphy invitation than a computer-generated invitation card.
20. Mystery Shopping
The mystery shopping industry is valued at well over $2 billion a year in the USA. A mystery shopper gets paid for giving feedback and writing reviews about a particular product or service of their company.
Market research Companies and watchdogs want to understand what consumers think of products and services offered by a particular company.
So they hire mystery shoppers like you to perform tasks such as purchasing a product, using it, and giving detailed reports about your experiences to them.
You can walk into a hotel or restaurant and give feedback on the level of service offered by the hotel and restaurant. A mystery shopper will write reviews about a particular product or service. You get paid for each report or feedback you submit.
21. Online Journalist
The Internet has been there for a while now but online journalism is relatively a new concept. You don’t need a degree in journalism or mass media to become an online news correspondent.
There are hundreds of web journals and media houses willing to pay contributors for each article they write for their websites.
If you got a story, then you can pitch it to websites like HuffPost, Forbes, BuzzFeed, NYT, etc. They compensate you based on ad revenue generated by articles written by you.
You can contribute to different websites weekly and make a decent income. An online correspondent can earn $4000 to $6000 every month.
22. Translation Services
If you have proficiency in languages other than English, you can start offering Translation services to companies from home.
In a global marketplace, translators are needed for business communication to translate texts into other languages like Spanish, Chinese, and Japanese.
Apart from developing a glossary of terms to use in translation, they are also required to develop icons and illustrations that are effective irrespective of different cultures.
You will require specific reference material and standard office equipment to get started. You can make $40,000 to $60,000 every year with an initial investment of $2000 to $3000.
23. Consultancy Services – College Application and Small Business
As a college Application consultant, you will be required to solve problems for high school seniors and their parents dealing with emotional issues, assess their skills, and match them accordingly to a proper university.
You also need to assist them in filling out financial aid and application forms and submitting them to their college. You can easily earn $25000 to $35000 per year with an investment of $2000 for advertisements.
Small Business Consultant
As a small business consultant, you help people start a new business smoothly. You guide them through government regulations, integrate technologies, and beat the competition with a tight budget.
A small business consultant must know about marketing, experience in business administration, planning, and research ability. A business consultant can make $500 to $2000 per day depending upon the type of business they are consulting.
24. Political Campaign Manager
A political Consultant is one of the most lucrative businesses in America & worldwide. A survey conducted by American University discovered that nearly 60% of all the political consultants in the USA make well over $100,000 every year.
Whether your campaign is on behalf of Democrats or Republicans, irrespective of a political party, political campaign managers make a tremendous amount of money donated by the donor class.
As a political manager, you are responsible for
- Creating a complete campaign plan
- Connecting with grass-root political workers
- Fundraising events like dinners, galas, concerts, etc
- Writing Speeches
- Leveraging media to your benefit
If you want to become a successful political campaign manager, you need some background in Public Relations.
25. Concert Promoter
People with extensive backgrounds in the music industry can become concert promoters. As a promoter, your responsibility is convincing agents that you will promote their clients if they are willing to bring them to your town or city.
It would be best to have connections with local media for PR purposes here. First, you need to establish an impeccable track record of delivering successful live concerts.
Once you have established yourself, you can make thousands of dollars for each concert you promote. It would help if you had connections with the music industry, media houses, and other promoters to succeed.
Telemarketing is a marketing tool that helps businesses reach out to their customers on the phone. Unlike other forms of marketing here, you directly talk to your potential customers on the phone.
You help companies to expand their customer base. You can hire telemarketers who will call customers from a list and pitch them products and services.
The company will provide a database of customers with their names and address. You don’t have to worry about the data.
It would help if you had telephone equipment and a computer with a printer. Startup costs can be well over $6000. Usually, you get paid on an hourly basis, like $40 for an hour.
Small and medium-sized businesses need bookkeepers to help them stay up-to-date with ever-changing tax laws. A Bookkeeper is responsible for specific tasks like billing, handling payroll, preparing financial reports, making deposits, etc.
Unlike accountants who audit the records, bookkeepers are just recorded keepers. So you don’t have to be an accountant to become a bookkeeper.
To become a bookkeeper, you must know tax laws and basic bookkeeping principles. You need a computer, accounting software, and office space to get started. It would help if you also spent on advertisements to get clients.
A bookkeeper can make $25000 to $40000 per year from his home business.
In the USA, every second person is obese. Thanks to junk food culture! But people who are health conscious are aware of this fact. So for eating healthy and nutritious food, they are willing to pay a nutritionist to get the right advice.
As a nutritionist, you will consult them to eat healthy meals three times a day and help them lose or gain weight naturally. You assist according to the client’s demand.
You can advertise this home business offline as well as online using digital platforms to get new clients. It would help if you also built contacts with other established nutritionists.
You can make $30000 to $60000 per annum depending upon the city and area you live in.
29. Animal Breeder
In the USA, people love their cats and dogs. Do you know where the most beautiful breeds of cats and dogs come from?
Yes from animal breeders just like you.
If you have knowledge of specific animal breeds and breeds standards, you can become an animal breeder.
Once you know which breed to specialize in, you need to build a small kennel and a breeding ground. Then you have to find the best dog or cat to breed. You also have to find a suitable breed match for your initial animal.
You can sell their offspring to pet shops near your area.
You require an investment of $15000 to $20000 to get breeding equipment, a home kennel, a breeding area, and a permit. You can make $500 to $1000 in profit per animal.
30. Handbill Distribution Business
Traditional marketing strategies like distributing pamphlets, handbills, flyers, etc., will never go out of fashion. Mainstream media like TV, newspapers, radio, etc., can never replace old-fashioned marketing techniques.
Handbill distribution businesses can thrive in areas with a high concentration of people, like metropolitan cities with huge shopping malls and other buildings.
Few college students working part-time for you can distribute handbills in areas frequented by people. Your handbill distribution business will help clients promote their business through conventional marketing.
An initial investment of $1000 to $2000 would be enough to start. You will also need to hire a few people to distribute bills.
You charge $10 to $20 per drop-off.
31. Automotive Detailing
Auto detailing service can be rendered from your place, right inside your garage. In the USA, the auto detailing industry stands at around $18 billion. You, too, can get a piece of the pie.
Auto detailing service is not like an auto repair shop where you have to inventory expensive auto parts. Whether it is the exterior or interior of the vehicle, Auto detailing is all about cleaning, polishing, and finishing the vehicle.
You do NOT repair or replace auto parts like brake systems, transmission systems, exhaust systems, or any engine components.
Auto detailing can be divided into two parts Interior and Exterior. In interior detailing you deep clean cabin, seats, dashboard, carpet, upholstery stains, etc. Exterior detailing is all about cleaning and restoring the surface of the car, windshield, door windows, wheels, tires, etc.
To get started you need a garage, and equipment like brushes, toothbrushes, cotton swabs, airbrushes, paint, etc. You don’t need any heavy equipment that is expensive.
An initial investment of $10000 to $15000 would be enough to start. You can easily make $250 to $1000 per car for detailing.
32. Garden Designer
Homes and offices require beautiful gardens with blooming flowers and plants.
If you have a passion for plants and flowers and love to work in the dirt outside for an extended period, then you can be a garden designer. You will help homeowners design their gardens and choose the right color by deciding which flower will bloom where.
A garden designer should not be confused with a landscape architect. Here you work with plants and flowers; however, a landscape architect must mow down grasses to create will sculpted foliage.
You must know about horticulture, various plants, growing seasons, and climate. You will require simple gardening tools, seeds, and hoses to get started.
You need to be active in your neighborhood by participating in community meetings to get new clients. A garden designer can earn as low as $250 and as high as $1500 for each gardening project.
Special Occasions like weddings, funerals, theme parties, etc., always require a professional florist to design and arrange flowers.
The floral arrangement requires a lot of creativity and talent. It is not necessary that you have to be a certified florist. However, you must know how to decorate them so that your clients can appreciate the design.
Remember, you don’t have to grow flowers or sell them at a retail shop. You have to arrange them that look good to the eyes. It is all about visuals.
You can start this business by contacting wedding planners, funeral services, and flower shops in your area. Most of your initial investment will go into finding new clients.
You can easily earn $200 – $500 per wedding or funeral.
34. Cake Decorator
Cake decoration is a far more significant niche than you can realize. Almost every ceremony like a wedding, anniversary, birthday party, graduation day, etc., requires a cake.
So business opportunity is incredible!
You need to get started with minimal, just baking and decoration skills. Your job will be baking the cake perfectly, decorating it as per your clients’ wishes, and delivering it to their doorstep.
Creating wedding cakes can be more profitable than creating them for other occasions like birthdays. However, you need more time and expertise to create a wedding cake.
You will require essential equipment like an oven, baking pans, utensils, decorating supplies, and baking ingredients. You may also have to get a food preparation permit.
You can earn $50 to $500 for selling each cake. In some cases, you can make even more.
35. Jewelry Designer
Jewelry designing as a home based business opportunity is not for everyone. However, if you have a lot of creativity and a keen eye for identifying the right kind of precious stones, metals, and crystals, then this business is ideal for you.
For many Jewelry designers, it is a family business. But others get into this business because of their passion for jewelry.
As a designer, you must be an expert at cutting, shaping, polishing, welding, engraving, and mounting different kinds of jewelry.
If you have a jewelry business, you don’t need formal training or any certificate to start. But for others, a certificate from the Gemological Institute of America and some formal art training is essential.
You will require essential equipment like pliers, jeweler’s loops, vices, magnifying glasses, molds, melting equipment, and of course, a steady hand.
Start-up costs can be anywhere between $5000 to $ 25,000. You can easily earn $35,000 – $100,000 a year.
36. Art & Craft Lessons
Art and Craft classes are not just hobbies but a profitable professions that can bring money into your bank account.
If you are into creating art like paintings, and drawings, or crafts work like sculpturing; you can start giving lessons from home and earn money for each class you conduct.
There is no shortage of students who are willing to pay an arm and a leg to learn art and craft skills, especially if they are living in a metropolitan city like New York, LA, or Chicago.
To get started, you need painting kits like paper, sketchbooks, masonite, canvas, acrylics, oils, pastels, watercolor, inks, pens, brushes, varnishes, etc. Since sculpturing involves carving and casting, you will require modeling clay, wax, copper wire, loop, armature board, etc.
An initial investment of $5000 should cover all of this. Earning potential can be anywhere between $20,000 – $60,000 a year.
37. Laundry and Ironing Services
I know you don't need an explanation for starting a laundry business. You already know what you have to do. But don’t take it lightly because you have to be an expert and pay attention to every small detail while laundering clothes.
Besides buying basic materials like laundry soap, softeners, and starches, you also have to buy laundry machines like washers, dryers, press, and ironing boards. If you already have them, your initial investment could be less than $2000.
Otherwise, it can go up to $10,000.
You can charge $10 – $20 per pound of clothes for washing, drying, and ironing. On average you can earn $25,000 – $35,000 per month.
38. Growing Medical Marijuana
Growing Medical Marijuana or cannabis is perhaps one of the most unique and lucrative home based businesses in the USA. If you live in a state where marijuana is legal (like Colorado), you can start this business right in your home.
Marijuana for medical purposes is legal in more than 30 states in the USA; hence, finding buyers wouldn’t be that difficult. It is used in treating pain, nausea, muscle spasms, anxiety, depression, etc.
You will grow buds right in your home garden, just like Cheech and Chong did in the movie Nice Dreams.
You will require seeds, the cannabis plant, fertilizers, Hydroponics, HID lights, air conditioners, watering system, etc., to get started. Start-up costs can be very high and go up to $25,000, but great returns.
You can earn up to $75,000 yearly selling marijuana to hospitals, clinics, marijuana bars, etc.
Disc Jockey or DJs are in great demand because it is cheaper to hire a DJ than a live band for a party. Hence party givers are more inclined to hire DJs.
As a DJ, you will need to develop your style of blending music instead of copycatting others. If people are addicted to your music, then party givers would be willing to pay you anything for a few hours.
Today’s equipment for producing excellent sound quality is much tiny and portable, making your life as a DJ a lot easier. You will also need a collection of DVDs.
You will work on contract for 3 to 4 different jobs daily. Startup costs can go up to $10,000. You can earn $200 – $300 per event.
40. Handyman Network
You get a call from a client who wants to fix something in their house, and you respond by sending one of your handypersons who can do the job.
Your handyman will complete the job, collect the check for the service he had just rendered, and give it to you. Then you will give a percentage from the check to the handyman and keep the remaining amount with you.
That’s how the handyman network business works.
To start this business, you will require building a team of handymen who can do plumbing, roofing, deck building, painting, fixing dripping faucets, electrical repairs, etc.
You need a van, well-stocked tools and handymen who are willing to work on call. You also need to spend some money on advertising for getting handymen.
You can easily earn up to $50,000 a year with an initial investment of $1000 – $2500.
41. Electronic Repair Shop
People with smashed iPhones and iPad screens are going to come to you. They are looking for cheap ways to fix their mobile phones, desktops, and laptops.
You can establish an electronic repair shop right in your basement or garage. However, you must have a great deal of experience fixing electronic gadgets and their parts.
You don’t have to be a jack of all trades. If you have expertise in fixing Apple products, especially iPhone, you can easily earn more than $50000 a year.
You will require electronic repair tools like circuit boards, soldering iron, sponge, magnifying glasses, electronic spare parts, etc. An initial investment of $5000 should cover all of this.
42. Mortgage Loan Broker
Borrowers who want second or third mortgages are always looking for lenders to lend money to them. So they come to a mortgage loan broker to find a lender.
These borrowers can be individuals and firms who want a broker who can set them up with a lender. Sometimes it can also be reversed, where you help lenders find borrowers.
You work independently, just like a real estate agent. You must have extensive knowledge of the real estate industry and financing. You will require an office, business cards, letterhead, etc.
The start-up cost is meager and can range from $5000 to $10000. You earn 4% to 5% of the value of the mortgage you place.
43. Rent Your Car or Boat
If you own more than one car, you can always think of renting it out to someone else and charging a fee per hour basis. People who are cab drivers are always looking for new cars that they can rent and use as a cab or taxis.
You make money depending on the type of car you are renting. Low-end cars can pay you $5-$8 an hour and high-end cars $20 – $25 per hour. If you own a big passenger vehicle or a MUV, you can charge even more.
You can also rent out a boat if you own one, not just cars. On weekends and holidays, people love to go fishing with their families. Many of them don’t own a boat because it is too expensive. So they would rent out from an owner like you.
Advertise your car or boat that you want to rent on Craigslist and get started.
44. Gift Basket Business
No matter what the economy is doing, people have to give something special to their loved ones on occasions like Christmas, Thanksgiving, Mother’s Day, Valentine’s Day, etc.
Many choose to give a Gift Basket full of goodies over a simple greeting card. There is a massive market for the gift business. If you have a creative mind with a splash of marketing sense, you can go very far in this business.
For a walk-in business, you need a store upfront in a suitable location. You can also go online by creating a website and delivering the gift basket to the client’s doorstep.
It would help if you also spent on advertisements to get more clients. Start-up costs can go up to $20,000, and your potential earnings could be $30000 to $50000 per year.
45. Art Collector
Art Collector's business idea is not for everyone as it requires a lot of patience to grow this home business. You need to have a keen eye for identifying art that is aesthetic and can find buyers who are willing to pay a considerable amount of money.
You can buy art from art students of a local university and sell them online/offline in an auction at a price ten times higher.
To find buyers who can pay thousands of dollars for one painting, you need to stay in touch with the people associated with the art industry like artists, fellow art collectors\curator, organizers, etc.
46. Resume Writing
As a resume writer, you write a resume and cover letter that looks professional and add value with additional services like the cover, follow-up, and referral letters.
You also have to post them on multiple websites for your clients.
Resume writing can be a time-consuming job as writing down job histories, expertise, and skills of a client need a lot of due diligence.
Start up cost is just over $1000, you need a computer and some advertising expenses.
A resume writer can easily earn $50,000 a year in a city like New York or LA. In NY resume writers charge up to $400 for writing one resume.
Home based business is the best career opportunity for those who want to make money from home and people who are not interested to work 9-5 for someone.
I have researched countless home business ideas but selected 90 business ideas that are unique. These ideas has more earning potential and can be started with low investment.
47. Start a Gourmet Restaurant
Gourmet restaurant is not a new concept but it is great home based business. If you love cooking for your large family then you can turn this love into a small business.
- How to Start: Just invite few close friends to the dinner and spread a word about it on social media. Then you can charge them money for food that you serve.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need nothing just good food and create an ambience.
48. Marriage Bureau or Match Making Agency
Well in certain societies marriages are arranged and in others they are not. But if it is arranged then you can be a match maker.
- How to Start: You can start fixing marriages for your near friends then you can turn into a small business charging a fee for every successful match making.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Initially you do not need any investment but later on you need to place ads in newspaper etc for more customers.
49. A Day care for Kids with Schooling
A day care where you take care of kids whose parents are busy. You can also start pre nursery schooling but it is optional.
- How to Start: You can start in your home with a separate room and start looking after 4 to 5 kids.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Initially you need a room with furniture’s, toys and few maids to pay on monthly basis.
50. Food Truck or Food Carts
Food truck or food carts are not new because you have seen them on streets selling snacks, meals and other items.
- How to Start: You need to buy one of these carts or trucks and hit the street.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Cart is cheaper but a truck or a vehicle could cost more. So start with a cart and then get a peddler license or a hawker license.
Refer:- Start a Food Truck Business
51. A Boutique with Fashion Accessories
A small boutique selling fashion accessories that are not available in big stores.
- How to Start: You have to have good clothes, shoes, jewelry and other stuff.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here you could buy a shop instead of starting in your home. Then you need fashion items to fill the shop.
52. Food and Catering for Marriages and other Functions
You could cater food for occasions like marriages, parties and other social gatherings. The business is very profitable and easy to start also.
- How to Start: Well to start you need good cooks and spread a word about your business to the people. You also need to arrange rationing.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here you need to pay cooks, food items and off course for banners and posters.
53. Coaching Centre and Home Tuition
This is another very popular home business idea with very low investment. If you have children in your home then start a coaching centre or home tuition.
- How to Start: You can start calling children in your home and giving them tuition later you can turn into a bigger coaching center.
- Minimum Investment You Need: If children are more then you need to rent a room and you also need furniture’s, stationery etc.
54. Event Coordinator or Organizer
Event coordinator or organizer where you organize marriages, partiers, funerals etc. The job is not new and it could be done from home.
- How to Start: Well you need some formal training or course in event management and then start building contacts and make money with it.
- Minimum Investment You Need: The money that you need is for courses. But you need a lot of time to build your contacts.
55. Candle Making and Soap Making
You can make candles and soap in your home and earn money with it. Candle making and soap making are very popular form of home business.
- How to Start: Here you will need a separate house or a room to set up your small factory or manufacturing plant.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to pay for raw materials like wax and chemicals for making soaps plus electricity bills.
56. Music and Dance Classes
Music and dance classes are just like tuition classes. This is great if you live in cities where parents want their children to learn something extra.
- How to Start: Start looking for kids in your area and arrange a room where you will give training.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to invest capital in arranging music instruments, furniture, a room and advertisements.
57. Be a Personal Chef
This kind of home business works well when you are living in cities with high income people. You can become their personal chef and cook whatever they ask.
- How to Start: Here you need to build your contacts and hoard all the best ingredients that go into preparing a dish.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need personal course in cooking and hospitality then you have to pay for expensive food items.
58. Knitting, Crocheting, Quilting and Embroidery Work
Knitting, crocheting, quilting and embroidery work is really great home based business for women.
- How to Start: You need to collect clothes that need finishing like knitting and some embroidery work.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need a way to collect clothes from your customers for that you might use advertising. You also need basic clothing items for this business.
59. Baking and Cooking Classes
Baking and cooking classes is another great idea for a home based business. It is easy to start and does not need much of an investment. You can sell cakes and also teach how to bake it or cook it.
- How to Start: Well you need rationing items like flour, sugar, chocolate etc and few chefs also.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need investment for food items and also you have to pay for arranging coaching classes.
60. Pickling & Jam Making
Pickling and jam making could be done right from your home. You can start this business with minimum form of investment.
- How to Start: Obviously you need items and ingredients but you also need to talk to distributor and dealers that are going to buy your products.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need money for key ingredients, few workers, electricity for machines and payment to distributors.
61. Customized Designing and Tailoring of Clothes
You can design and tailor clothes for few special occasions like festivals and other social events. Off course the money you charge for making would be high.
- How to Start: You need to develop tailoring skills and establish a shop that caters to people with special needs.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You have to spend money on buying a shop, clothes and other expensive items.
62. Pet Care and Training
Per care and training is also a popular home business that you can think of starting. You take care of others pet and also train it like how to poop etc.
- How to Start: You need to spread a word about your pet care either through your friend circle or through advertisement.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need a good place where people would love to leave their pets like a swimming pool is must and few other things.
63. Beauty Parlor and Make Up
Beauty parlor is nothing new and you can see a beauty parlor in every corner. You can also offer make up services by going to their place.
- How to Start: Well it is very easy, you can set up the parlor in your home or rent out a shop depending upon location.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need investment for chairs, mirrors, cosmetics and renting space.
64. Massage and Spa Services
You can extend your beauty parlor to massage parlor. Here you give services like body massage and other spa treatments.
- How to Start: Well starting a massage parlor you need a location and a lot of interior designing to your place.
- Minimum Investment You Need: First of all you need to hire a professional masseuse to give message then a lot of items for interior decoration.
65. Tiffin and Homemade Lunch Box Delivery
Tiffin or homemade lunch box delivery is also like food and catering services. Here you cook meal and distribute in offices.
- How to Start: You need to have good chefs and ingredients must be of good quality. You also need men who will be distributing these Tiffin to offices.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to hire men for distribution and then for cooking you need rationing.
66. Provision Store or a Small Grocery Shop
Everyone can open a provision store or a grocery shop. You can do from home and if you are serious then you can rent out a space in prime location.
- How to Start: Here you do not need an advice as it is very easy to start and every one can do it.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need daily supplies of basic provisioning items in lower cost, so talk to your local distributors.
67. Cyber Café with Xerox Machine
If you live in a small town or city then a cyber café with Xerox Machine would be a nice small business right from your home.
- How to Start: You need to rent a shop at a good location and then start your business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Renting a shop, you also need cabins or booths for cyber café then you also need a Xerox machine.
68. Ice Cream Parlor
Opening up an Ice Cream parlor is also nice business. It is very easy to start right from your home. However you need certain things before you get started.
- How to Start: Well you need to arrange supply of milk and other ingredients from a dealer then you need skills how to make perfect ice creams.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Apart from daily supply of milk you also need big refrigerators and monthly electricity bills.
69. Car or Bus Pooling Services
Car or School Bus pooling business is also a great home based business. Office going people or school going children need car or bus, so car or bus pooling service is the answer.
- How to Start: Well you need to tell people in your neighborhood that you provide car or bus pooling services. You have best cars and school buses.
- Minimum Investment You Need: First you need to have transport buses or cars. You can start with second hand or used cars to provide pooling services.
70. Fitness Center Like Gym
You can open a gym or a small fitness centre. There you can give fitness training or also be a yoga instructor.
- How to Start: You need to look out for a space where you can bring in all the equipments and then spread a word about it in your neighborhood.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Off course investment for equipments and then may be for renting a space.
71. Dental or a General Clinic
If you are a medical student with a medical degree then open a dental care or a clinic for treatment of fever, cold etc. The return would be great because there is no loss.
- How to Start: You can start from your home by arranging equipment required for running a clinic.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need money for all the medical equipment, supply of medicines and a license for running the clinic.
72. Interior Decoration Services
Interior decoration services are really great if you live in a big city. You get a lot of customers for designing their homes and interiors.
- How to Start: You must have a professional training in this field then you need an office and clients to start off your business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You must have a degree or some kind of formal education then spend on advertisement to get clients.
73. Mail Order Business
Mail order or Envelope stuffing business is not new and very popular form of home business. You all know about it. You need to send pamphlets or leaflets to their address through mail.
- How to Start: First you need to get register to a small company that offers you a membership then start this business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: First you have to pay for the membership cost then you need to pay for stationery and for stamps etc.
74. Courier Services
Courier services are great if you are ready to become franchisee of a big company. You can easily start this business.
- How to Start: Get a franchisee licensee and start spreading a word about your business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to hire few employees who can work in your office like taking orders and managing data of items to be delivered.
75. E Bay and Amazon Seller
You could also sell items on behalf of E bay or Amazon. You can become an Amazon seller and sell items like clothes, footwear, and other accessories.
- How to Start: First you need to sign up with Amazon and give your details to become an Amazon seller.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to have a warehouse where you can store various items that have to be delivered.
76. Human Resource (HR) Recruitment Office
HR recruiter is nothing new. You can do this either from home or take an office. You recruit people and send them to companies that want to hire them.
- How to Start: Well you can start from home by giving ads in newspapers in classified columns or by sticking bills on bus stops.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here your only investment would be placing ads.
77. Real Estate Broker or Agent
Real estate agent is also a great idea to make money from home.
- How to Start: You need to use your contacts or relation to start this business. Later you charge them a commission on every home you sell.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Initially you need to spend on developing contacts and later on advertisements.
78. Plant Nursery and Gardening and Landscaping Services
You have love for plants and gardening then you can turn this passion into a small business right from your home.
- How to Start: You can sell various plants like rose, jasmine, money plant, etc. You can also offer landscaping services.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to have contacts with horticulture institute or a centre to buy exotic plants.
79. Home Cleaning and Renovation Services
Home cleaning and renovation services are on high demand hence you can offer these services by arranging men and women.
- How to Start: You need to organize men and women that do cleaning and renovation services for the clients.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You have to pay these men and women for the job they are doing.
80. SEO and Web Designing
If you have good knowledge of SEO and web designing then you can start a home business in SEO and web development. You can work as a freelancer or start an agency by hiring professional freelancers.
- How to Start: You need a computer with internet connection that is it. Yes for web designing you may need more than that.
- Minimum Investment You Need: A desktop or laptop, internet connection, few people for programming and other freelancing work.
81. Data Entry Work
Data entry work is very common and one of the best home business. Although it is not a business but you could make money with it.
- How to Start: Get registered with a company and start undertaking the projects complete it and give via email.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Only investment you have to make is paying a fee for registration and internet connection.
82. Desktop Publishing and other Art Work
Desktop publishing could be done from your home with minimum investment if you have knowledge of photo shop. You can create flyers, posters, pamphlets etc with desktop publishing.
- How to Start: You need to learn photo shop completely and start offering your services.
- Minimum Investment You Need: A computer, the licensed photo shop software and a space to run your office.
83. Proofreading and Editing Work
Proofreading and editing work can also be done from your home. However, you need to have good knowledge of English language and grammar.
- How to Start: First learn grammar and good English then go to internet and start looking for websites that offers freelancing jobs like proofreading and editing.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to have command over English language and an internet connection.
84. Herb Farming or Home Gardening
Herb farming is close to a plant nursery but here you grow certain kinds of rare herbs like basil, mint, sage, etc. This could be done from your home.
- How to Start: First you need to plant these herbs in your garden, start with herbs like mint, and give right amount of water, sunlight and other minerals.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need good quality soil, herbs seed than an area with perfect water supply and sunlight.
85. Doula Services then a Maternity Clinic
If you have given birth two to three times then you can use that experience and turn into a business. You can use your expertise to doula services to others.
Later on you expand it to a maternity clinic.
- How to Start: Well you need to spread a word about your service and get clients. Later you can start your own ward or clinic in your home.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to have experience of giving birth many times.
86. Video Gaming Parlor
A gaming parlor is just like starting a cyber café. However here you need to have a computer with high processing speed. Kids and teenagers are going to love it.
- How to Start: It is just like starting a cyber café, you need a shop where teenagers can come and play.
- Minimum Investment You Need: High processing computers, software, and a space on rent at a location where it can attract kids and teenagers.
87. Antique or a Furniture Store, Second Hand Book Shop
You can turn your basement into an antique shop. If you have a hobby for collecting antiquities, furniture then turn it into a business. You can also sell second-hand books like novels, magazines and other books.
- How to Start: Well start collecting antiques and furniture in your basement or garage. You could also collect books that cannot be found elsewhere.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here time is the most important investment that you have to make. The rest of the things are easy.
88. Daily Newspaper and Magazine Distribution
The daily morning we read the newspaper, you could become a dealer or distributor for daily newspapers and other magazines in your area. You will collect all the newspapers and distribute them to people in their homes.
- How to Start: You need to contact the newspaper or the magazine company then you also have to arrange for boys that are going to deliver the newspaper every morning door to door.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to hire a few delivery boys and pay to buy thousands of newspapers daily.
89. Fish Farming
Fish farming is also a great small business idea from home. You can rear fish in your backyard and sell it to open the market and make some profit.
- How to Start: Here need to have some knowledge about the fish farming business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to buy fishes to domesticate them then you also need a separate where they are going to be cultivated.
99. Milk and Poultry
Just like fish farming milk and poultry is also a great business idea with very minimum investment. In fact, it is easier than fish farming.
- How to Start: If you domesticate chickens, hens, and a few cows or buffaloes in your backyard then you can start this business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to arrange for their shed and to feed the you need a quality feeder and other things so that the cow gives you more milk.
91. Tax, Accounting, and Legal Services
If you are a certified charted accountant or a lawyer then you start consulting your client right from the comfort of your home.
- How to Start: You need to spread a word about your consulting business. You also need to build contacts so you get more clients.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need expertise in this line, you need to buy an office space and time is very important here.
92. Old Age Care or Home
Old age care or home is just like daycare for kids. Here you take care of old people who cannot live with their grown-up children anymore.
- How to Start: If you know older people in your neighborhood that need to be taken care of then start bringing them in your day care.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need rooms for daycare, then you also need few people to take care old men and women.
93. Basic Computer Training Classes Like MS Office
The last but not the least small business idea is starting a computer training classes where you give training to people about MS office, tally, etc.
- How to Start: You can rent a room and collect a few computers and start giving training. You can also advertise through distributing leaflets about training classes.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here you need to invest in buy computers, you can go for second-hand desktop computers at least 4 to 5. Then investing in furniture and printing leaflets for advertisements.
So there were 50 home business ideas with minimum investment. You can pick just one ideas out of 50 and start your home business right now.
Best of Luck!
What is the best business to start from home?
The best business to start from home will depend on your skills, interests, and goals. However, popular and profitable home-based business ideas include e-commerce, online services, content creation, online course creation, home cleaning and handyman services, and online tutoring, Virtual Bookkeeping, and Social Media Management. Starting a home-based business can require hard work and dedication, and it may take time to turn a profit. It's important to conduct market research, create a business plan, and be prepared to invest time, money, and effort to make your business a success.
What kind of business can start from home?
Starting a business from home can be a great way to become your own boss and gain financial freedom. Some types of home-based businesses include online businesses such as e-commerce and affiliate marketing, consulting, freelancing, home-based service businesses, virtual assistant, online tutoring or coaching, and home-based food business. However, it's important to keep in mind that starting a home-based business may require obtaining necessary licenses and permits, and adhering to zoning laws. It's always best to consult with a lawyer or accountant before starting any business venture.
What are cheap businesses to start?
Starting a business on a budget can be done by setting up an online business, such as an e-commerce store or a blog, starting a consulting business, providing home-based services, starting an online tutoring or teaching business, or starting a dropshipping business. It is important to note that starting any business requires hard work and dedication, and it is also important to validate the market and your business idea before investing a lot of resources into it.
What is the easiest business to start?
Starting a business can vary based on skills, interests, and resources. Online businesses, consulting, dropshipping, pet-sitting or dog-walking, and personal shopping and styling are some popular easiest options. Remember that starting a business requires time, effort, and dedication, and it's important to research and plan before starting.