Home based businesses are the best way to make money when the economy is in recession. Its a best career opportunity as well as a way to make extra income.
There are hundreds of home business ideas but here I will show you 50 best business ideas that do not need any huge investment.
Top 50 Home Business Ides
I can guarantee you that there is at least 1 business idea you can find here that will be perfect for you. You can think of starting this today or this week.
So just read it here-
1. Start a Gourmet Restaurant
Gourmet restaurant is not a new concept but it is great home based business. If you love cooking for your large family then you can turn this love into a small business.
- How to Start: Just invite few close friends to the dinner and spread a word about it on social media. Then you can charge them money for food that you serve.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need nothing just good food and create an ambience.
2. Marriage Bureau or Match Making Agency
Well in certain societies marriages are arranged and in others they are not. But if it is arranged then you can be a match maker.
- How to Start: You can start fixing marriages for your near friends then you can turn into a small business charging a fee for every successful match making.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Initially you do not need any investment but later on you need to place ads in newspaper etc for more customers.
3. A Day care for Kids with Schooling
A day care where you take care of kids whose parents are busy. You can also start pre nursery schooling but it is optional.
- How to Start: You can start in your home with a separate room and start looking after 4 to 5 kids.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Initially you need a room with furniture’s, toys and few maids to pay on monthly basis.
4. Food Truck or Food Carts
Food truck or food carts are not new because you have seen them on streets selling snacks, meals and other items.
- How to Start: You need to buy one of these carts or trucks and hit the street.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Cart is cheaper but a truck or a vehicle could cost more. So start with a cart and then get a peddler license or a hawker license.
5. A Boutique with Fashion Accessories
A small boutique selling fashion accessories that are not available in big stores.
- How to Start: You have to have good clothes, shoes, jewelry and other stuff.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here you could buy a shop instead of starting in your home. Then you need fashion items to fill the shop.
6. Food and Catering for Marriages and other Functions
You could cater food for occasions like marriages, parties and other social gatherings. The business is very profitable and easy to start also.
- How to Start: Well to start you need good cooks and spread a word about your business to the people. You also need to arrange rationing.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here you need to pay cooks, food items and off course for banners and posters.
7. Coaching Centre and Home Tuition
This is another very popular home business idea with very low investment. If you have children in your home then start a coaching centre or home tuition.
- How to Start: You can start calling children in your home and giving them tuition later you can turn into a bigger coaching center.
- Minimum Investment You Need: If children are more then you need to rent a room and you also need furniture’s, stationery etc.
8. Event Coordinator or Organizer
Event coordinator or organizer where you organize marriages, partiers, funerals etc. The job is not new and it could be done from home.
- How to Start: Well you need some formal training or course in event management and then start building contacts and make money with it.
- Minimum Investment You Need: The money that you need is for courses. But you need a lot of time to build your contacts.
9. Candle Making and Soap Making
You can make candles and soap in your home and earn money with it. Candle making and soap making are very popular form of home business.
- How to Start: Here you will need a separate house or a room to set up your small factory or manufacturing plant.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to pay for raw materials like wax and chemicals for making soaps plus electricity bills.
10. Music and Dance Classes
Music and dance classes are just like tuition classes. This is great if you live in cities where parents want their children to learn something extra.
- How to Start: Start looking for kids in your area and arrange a room where you will give training.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to invest capital in arranging music instruments, furniture, a room and advertisements.
11. Be a Personal Chef
This kind of home business works well when you are living in cities with high income people. You can become their personal chef and cook whatever they ask.
- How to Start: Here you need to build your contacts and hoard all the best ingredients that go into preparing a dish.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need personal course in cooking and hospitality then you have to pay for expensive food items.
12. Knitting, Crocheting, Quilting and Embroidery Work
Knitting, crocheting, quilting and embroidery work is really great home based business for women.
- How to Start: You need to collect clothes that need finishing like knitting and some embroidery work.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need a way to collect clothes from your customers for that you might use advertising. You also need basic clothing items for this business.
13. Baking and Cooking Classes
Baking and cooking classes is another great idea for a home based business. It is easy to start and does not need much of an investment. You can sell cakes and also teach how to bake it or cook it.
- How to Start: Well you need rationing items like flour, sugar, chocolate etc and few chefs also.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need investment for food items and also you have to pay for arranging coaching classes.
14. Pickling, Jam Making and Papad Rolling
Pickling, jam making and Papad rolling could be done right from your home. You can start this business with minimum form of investment.
- How to Start: Obviously you need items and ingredients but you also need to talk to distributer and dealers that are going to buy your products.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need money for key ingredients, few workers, electricity for machines and payment to distributors.
15. Customized Designing and Tailoring of Clothes
You can design and tailor clothes for few special occasions like festivals and other social events. Off course the money you charge for making would be high.
- How to Start: You need to develop tailoring skills and establish a shop that caters to people with special needs.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You have to spend money on buying a shop, clothes and other expensive items.
16. Pet Care and Training
Per care and training is also a popular home business that you can think of starting. You take care of others pet and also train it like how to poop etc.
- How to Start: You need to spread a word about your pet care either through your friend circle or through advertisement.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need a good place where people would love to leave their pets like a swimming pool is must and few other things.
17. Beauty Parlor and Make Up
Beauty parlor is nothing new and you can see a beauty parlor in every corner. You can also offer make up services by going to their place.
- How to Start: Well it is very easy, you can set up the parlor in your home or rent out a shop depending upon location.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need investment for chairs, mirrors, cosmetics and renting space.
18. Massage and Spa Services
You can extend your beauty parlor to massage parlor. Here you give services like body massage and other spa treatments.
- How to Start: Well starting a massage parlor you need a location and a lot of interior designing to your place.
- Minimum Investment You Need: First of all you need to hire a professional masseuse to give message then a lot of items for interior decoration.
19. Tiffin and Homemade Lunch Box Delivery
Tiffin or homemade lunch box delivery is also like food and catering services. Here you cook meal and distribute in offices.
- How to Start: You need to have good chefs and ingredients must be of good quality. You also need men who will be distributing these Tiffin to offices.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to hire men for distribution and then for cooking you need rationing.
20. Provision Store or a Small Grocery Shop
Everyone can open a provision store or a grocery shop. You can do from home and if you are serious then you can rent out a space in prime location.
- How to Start: Here you do not need an advice as it is very easy to start and every one can do it.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need daily supplies of basic provisioning items in lower cost, so talk to your local distributors.
21. Cyber Café with Xerox Machine and Telephone Booth
If you live in a small town or city then a cyber café with Xerox Machine would be a nice small business right from your home.
- How to Start: You need to rent a shop at a good location and then start your business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Renting a shop, you also need cabins or booths for cyber café then you also need a Xerox machine.
22. Ice Cream Parlor
Opening up an Ice Cream parlor is also nice business. It is very easy to start right from your home. However you need certain things before you get started.
- How to Start: Well you need to arrange supply of milk and other ingredients from a dealer then you need skills how to make perfect ice creams.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Apart from daily supply of milk you also need big refrigerators and monthly electricity bills.
23. Car or Bus Pooling Services
Car or School Bus pooling business is also a great home based business. Office going people or school going children need car or bus, so car or bus pooling service is the answer.
- How to Start: Well you need to tell people in your neighborhood that you provide car or bus pooling services. You have best cars and school buses.
- Minimum Investment You Need: First you need to have transport buses or cars. You can start with second hand or used cars to provide pooling services.
24. Fitness Center Like Gym
You can open a gym or a small fitness centre. There you can give fitness training or also be a yoga instructor.
- How to Start: You need to look out for a space where you can bring in all the equipments and then spread a word about it in your neighborhood.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Off course investment for equipments and then may be for renting a space.
25. Dental or a General Clinic
If you are a medical student with a MBBS degree then open a dental care or a clinic for treatment of fever, cold etc. The return would be great because there is no loss.
- How to Start: You can start from your home by arranging equipments required for running a clinic.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need money for all the medical equipments, supply of medicines and a license for running the clinic.
26. Dispensary for Ayurvedic, Homeopathic Medicine or Acupuncture
If you do not have an MMBS degree then you can also start a dispensary for Ayurvedic, Homeopathic medicines. You can give away these medicines for curing simple ailments. You can also start acupuncture treatment if you have knowledge of it.
- How to Start: To open a chamber you can do it right from your home and no need for a renting a space.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to buy medicines and get a license D Pharma license.
27. Interior Decoration Services
Interior decoration services are really great if you live in a big city. You get a lot of customers for designing their homes and interiors.
- How to Start: You must have a professional training in this field then you need an office and clients to start off your business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You must have a degree or some kind of formal education then spend on advertisement to get clients.
28. Palmist or Astrologer or Tarot Card Reader
If you are a palmist, astrologer or even a tarot card reader then you can start a business right from your home. This business has its own niche.
- How to Start: First you must have a good knowledge about the field because establishing this business won’t be easy as it takes time.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here you need to build a lot of contacts to be in the business because market is very small.
29. Mail Order Business
Mail order or Envelope stuffing business is not new and very popular form of home business. You all know about it. You need to send pamphlets or leaflets to their address through mail.
- How to Start: First you need to get register to a small company that offers you a membership then start this business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: First you have to pay for the membership cost then you need to pay for stationery and for stamps etc.
30. Courier Services
Courier services are great if you are ready to become franchisee of a big company. You can easily start this business.
- How to Start: Get a franchisee licensee and start spreading a word about your business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to hire few employees who can work in your office like taking orders and managing data of items to be delivered.
31. E Bay and Flipkart Seller
You could also sell items on behalf of E bay or Flipkart. You can become Flipkart seller and sell items like clothes, footwear and other accessories.
- How to Start: First you need to sign up with Flipkart give your details and become a Flipkart seller.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to have warehouse where you can store various items that has to be delivered.
32. Human Resource (HR) Recruitment Office
HR recruiter is nothing new. You can do this either from home or take an office. You recruit people and send them to companies that want to hire them.
- How to Start: Well you can start from home by giving ads in newspaper in classified columns or by sticking bills on bus stops.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here your only investment would be placing ads.
33. Real Estate Broker or Agent
Real estate agent is also a great idea to make money from home.
- How to Start: You need to use your contacts or relation to start this business. Later you charge them a commission on every home you sell.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Initially you need to spend on developing contacts and later on advertisements.
34. Plant Nursery and Gardening and Landscaping Services
You have love for plants and gardening then you can turn this passion into a small business right from your home.
- How to Start: You can sell various plants like rose, jasmine, money plant etc. You can also offer landscaping services.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to have contacts with horticulture institute or a centre to buy exotic plants.
35. Home Cleaning and Renovation Services
Home cleaning and renovation services are on high demand hence you can offer these services by arranging men and women.
- How to Start: You need to organize men and women that do cleaning and renovation services for the clients.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You have to pay these men and women for the job they are doing.
36. Blogging, SEO and Web Designing
Blogging or SEO is not a home business but it could be done from your home. Yes web designing can be a home based business but requires education and technical knowledge.
- How to Start: You need a computer with internet connection that is it. Yes for web designing you may need more than that.
- Minimum Investment You Need: A desktop or laptop, internet connection, few people for programming and other freelancing work.
37. Data Entry Work
Data entry work is very common and one of the best home business. Although it is not a business but you could make money with it.
- How to Start: Get registered with a company and start undertaking the projects complete it and give via email.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Only investment you have to make is paying a fee for registration and internet connection.
38. Desktop Publishing and other Art Work
Desktop publishing could be done from your home with minimum investment if you have knowledge of photo shop. You can create flyers, posters, pamphlets etc with desktop publishing.
- How to Start: You need to learn photo shop completely and start offering your services.
- Minimum Investment You Need: A computer, the licensed photo shop software and a space to run your office.
39. Proofreading and Editing Work
Proofreading and editing work can also be done from your home. However you need to have good knowledge of English language and grammar.
- How to Start: First learn grammar and good English then go to internet and start looking for websites that offers freelancing jobs like proofreading and editing.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to have command over English language and an internet connection.
40. Herb Farming or Home Gardening
Herb farming is close to plant nursery but here you grow certain kinds of rare herbs like basil, mint, sage etc. This could be done from your home.
- How to Start: First you need to plant these herbs in your garden, start with herbs like mint, give right amount of water, sunlight and other minerals.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need good quality soil, herbs seed then an area with perfect water supply and sunlight.
41. Doula Services then a Maternity Clinic
If you have given birth two to three times then you can use that experience and turn into a business. You can use your expertise two doula services to others.
Later on you expand it to a maternity clinic.
- How to Start: Well you need to spread a word about your service and get clients. Later you can start your own ward or clinic in your home.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to have experience of giving birth many times.
42. Video Gaming Parlor
Gaming parlor is just like starting a cyber café. However here you need to have computer with high processing speed. Kids and teenagers are going to love it.
- How to Start: It is just like starting a cyber café, you need a shop where teenagers can come and play.
- Minimum Investment You Need: High processing computers, software and a space on rent at a location where it can attract kids and teenagers.
43. Antique or a Furniture Store, Second Hand Book Shop
You can turn your basement into antique shop. If you have a hobby for collecting antiquities, furniture’s then turn it into a business. You can also sell second hand books like novels, magazines and other books.
- How to Start: Well start collecting antiques and furniture in your basement or garage. You could also collect books that cannot be found elsewhere.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here time is the most important investment that you have to make. Rest of the things is easy.
44. Daily Newspaper and Magazine Distribution
Daily morning we read newspaper, you could become dealer or distributer for daily newspapers and other magazines in your area. You will collect all the newspaper and distribute to people in their homes.
- How to Start: You need to contact the newspaper or the magazine company then you also have to arrange boys that are going to deliver the newspaper every morning door to door.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to hire few delivery boys and pay for buying thousands of newspaper daily.
45. Roti or Chapati Making
Roti also known as Chapati Making is a good home business. It is just like Papad rolling. This business has great potential because there is a huge demand of this especially in a city.
- How to Start: Well you need a lot of flour and people to roll it. If you have people in your home then they can roll it but if the demand is more then you need to buy a machine.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Items like flour, the paying people who roll it and electricity bill if you have a machine.
46. Fish Farming
Fish farming is also a great small business idea from home. You can rear fish in your backyard and sell it to open market and make some profit.
- How to Start: Here need to have some knowledge about fish farming business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to buy fishes to domesticate them then you also need a separate where they are going to be cultivated.
47. Milk and Poultry
Just like fish farming milk and poultry is also a great business idea with very minimum investment. In fact it is easier than the fish farming.
- How to Start: If you domesticate chickens, hens and few cows or buffalos in your backyard then you can start this business.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need to arrange for their shed and to feed the you need quality feeder and other things so that cow gives you more milk.
48. Tax, Accounting and Legal Services
If you are a certified charted accountant or a lawyer then you start consulting your client right from comfort of your home.
- How to Start: You need to spread a word about your consulting business. You also need to build contacts so your get more clients.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need expertise in this line, you need to buy an office space and time is very important here.
49. Old Age Care or Home
Old age care or home is just like daycare for kids. Here you take care of old people who cannot live with their grown up children anymore.
- How to Start: If you know older people in your neighborhood that needs to be taken care of then start bringing them in your day care.
- Minimum Investment You Need: You need rooms for day care, then you also need few people to take care old men and women.
50. Basic Computer Training Classes Like MS Office
The last but not the least small business idea is starting a computer training classes where you give training to people about MS office, tally etc.
- How to Start: You can rent a room and collect few computers and start giving training. You can also advertise through distributing leaflets about training classes.
- Minimum Investment You Need: Here you need to invest in buy computers, you can go for second hand desktop computers at least 4 to 5. Then investing in furniture and printing leaflets for advertisements.
So there were 50 home business ideas with minimum investment. You can pick just one ideas out of 50 and start your home business right now.
You can also check this list of 101 small business ideas.
Best of Luck!